Achill Island Salted Caramel Ice Cream
· 300g caster sugar
· 185ml water
· 44g butter, cubed
· 750ml double cream
· 250ml milk
· 1 vanilla pod
· 1 tsp Achill Island Sea Salt
· 8 egg yolks
1. Place 280g of the sugar and 60ml of water in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat
2. Heat, shaking the saucepan occasionally, until the sugar melts, add the butter and remaining 125ml of water.
3. Stir to combine and the add the sea salt, cream and seeds of the vanilla pod
4. Beat the egg yolks and remaining caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Pour the hot caramel onto the eggs and whisk well, then sieve and allow to cool
6. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker until thick, then transfer to a container and freeze until firm